Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chasing Perfection: Ambition

"What I'm doing right now, I'm chasing perfection" - Kobe Bryant


Anybody that knows me the slightest knows that I'm a big fan of Kobe Bryant. A lot of people ask why I look up to him so much, and it goes beyond just what he does on the court. I'm a huge basketball fan, yes, but I'm quite observant about the general attitude of people. I'm impressed by will power, determination, and the mental fortitude it takes to constantly stay on top, or even better, climb to the top.  These are all characteristics in Kobe Bryant I admire. I don't know the guy, sure, but that doesn't mean I can't admire those qualities in him (yes it’s a man-crush). It’s the same reasons Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky were icons. People saw something in their struggle/talent, and their drive to be the best. Likewise, I've grown up with Kobe, and watched him grow from a outcast rookie to the perfect sidekick, the villain, the "selfish" scorer, and finally, the 5-time champion.

            As such, I constantly strive to have the type of mentality that he has when it comes to doing what you have to do in order to be where you want to be. I know it may sound ridiculous; he's an athlete, and I'm just a student (with a decent 3 point shot!). Regardless, I really believe that his mental approach to achieving his goals is the same as other elite athletes, and in general, people who are at the top of their respective fields. That is where I want to be.

            I've realized that a lot of people are afraid or too unmotivated at accepting challenges - they're afraid of getting older, they are afraid of failing, they are unable to accept the challenges placed in front of them. I firmly believe that anyone can bounce back from anything if their work ethic is there and they want it bad enough (though it has to be realistic to a degree). That is not to say that my work ethic is untouchable, but the goals that I've set out for myself, more often than not, I've been able to achieve when I've diligently put my mind into it.  

            I recently turned 22. What excites me about getting older is that there are so many challenges ahead of me that I have to rise and meet. If I fail, I have to work that much harder to gain my footing, but you better believe that I'll keep trying. Whether it’s my career, or how I complete an assignment, there are so many chances for me to just fail (and I don't mean that in an F grade kind of way). Likewise, where others would see a failure, a blow to their ego, I see it as a chance to learn, an opportunity to grow, as cheesy as that may sound.

            I've learned the beauty in approaching every facet of life like a puzzle. There have been so many times that I've gone the wrong way, and tried to fit the wrong pieces together, that it’s made me more driven to find the pieces that fit. Eventually, the pieces do collectively start fitting, but only if the diligence is there in trying to find the right ones.

My dad told me a long time ago that those who work hard, and constantly strive to reach their goals will reap the rewards later on in life. I didn't listen to him initially; after all, I was a 15 year old with girls on my mind. As I've gotten older though, I've slowly realized myself that he is/was right. When you set goals, when you know what you want, and work towards that one goal (or goals) every single day of your life - sooner or later, it will be yours for the taking.

I'm not trying to preach that my way is the right way and I'm some guy who is speaks with a holier-than-thou attitude; I'm simply saying that often times, the greatest limitation to our accomplishments is ourselves. I used to do it all the time growing up. In high school for example, I've realized now that the only person who set me back was myself - the limiting thoughts I used to have.  I cared about acting a certain way, and being a certain way, when now, being 5 years older and wiser, did it really matter? Of course not. Everyone has an opinion, yes, but only a select few should actually matter. Either you like me or you don't - get over it.

            If I want to get something, I'm going to get it. You know you're doing great when people say that you've changed, that you're not how they remember you. I always love hearing that. If I'm always the same person, if I haven't improved myself on a yearly basis, I feel like I've wasted a year, quite honestly.

The point is, Kobe Bryant went from a backup shooting guard with limited playing time, to one of the Top 10 greatest players of all time - all due to his mentality, his belief, and his determination. I'll leave you with something Kobe himself wrote that spoke volumes to me; the type of mentality I truly believe I need to have for success:

"I have learned that it is OK for me to be me, and what being me entails. It means that I will not rest; I will not sleep, relax, relent or be satisfied until my goals have been met, the challenge answered and all my doubters silenced. I will not give in to my foes; I won't let down my teammates. I won't stop inspiring those who look up to me or stop giving motivation to those who motivate me. I will not back off until I'm back on top, back in the place where they said I could never be again. Mountains don't scare me. The LACK of mountains scares me. The climb up, the struggle for every inch of ground and every level of ascension is what feeds me. I welcome that challenge. I welcome that chance to be fed because no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined. "




No comments:

Post a Comment